More "eco-friendly" chemicals?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fb26e711678>

Hey folks!

We all know you should never pour spent chemicals down the loo. So far I managed not to do that by relying on my local photographer (who is still 15km away by bike, unfortunately).

Given the current global challenges though, I’m looking for a way to reduce my footprint in this sense and find some chemicals that would reduce my need of cycling 30 minutes with a 5-liter tank full of spent chemicals to a minimum.

Do you have any ideas/experience with “greener” chemicals for BW development?

I read you can make an ascorbic acid (vit. c)-based developer, so I guess that could be an option, and then I guess I could substitute the stop with a solution of water and white vinegar (the kind you use for cleaning).

Any experience with this? And would using the ascorbic acid dev make it so that I can drain it down the loo without causing trouble?

Then, of course, there is also the matter of the fixer… Insights appreciated about that too,

Cheers!

I have tried Caffenol and had some decent success. Will definitely be trying it again. I have only ever used only water as a stop, never used proper stop or water. (except for paper, i used real stop there)

I have heard you can make your own fix as well and since that’s the most dangerous of the chemicals, I’d be inclined to try that out if you find a good recipe.

1 Like

That seems super good!

Will definitely need to transcribe/archive the recipes somewhere else, in case the website goes down for whatever reason.

Will definitely try one of their recipes as soon as I’m allowed to go outside (hopefully in 2 days max - fingers crossed!).

I’ll try discussing the fixer with some chemist friends and see what we can come up with :smiley:

Do you know if negatives fixed with DIY mixtures age well?

I don’t know anything about fixing with DIY mixtures unfortunately.